GoodTherapy.org Mission and Vision GoodTherapy.org unites therapists and the general public by disseminating mental health news and information, challenging mental health stigma, and promoting ethical therapy.
Our Mission For the public, GoodTherapy.org…
- EDUCATES the public about mental health issues, treatment, the process of therapy, and the differences between healthy and unhealthy therapy.
- EMPOWERS all people’s wellness journeys through access to reliable, unbiased, and nonpathologizing mental health information as well as trained mental health professionals listed in our online therapist directory.
- CHALLENGES the myths, stereotypes, and stigmas that can surround mental health issues and treatment and prevent people from getting help.
For therapists, GoodTherapy.org…
- FACILITATES a community of therapists who believe in and adhere to principles of ethical therapy and are committed to reducing harm in therapy.
- SUPPORTS compassionate, collaborative therapists in their practices through access to quality continuing education events, up-to-date therapy news and information, and resources related to ethics and power dynamics in therapy.
- PROVIDES a leading online directory with strict membership standards, giving therapist members consistent referrals and other benefits that foster a thriving practice.
- We envision a mental health community in which therapists and counselors are guided by their hearts as much as their minds, have the self-awareness and courage to do their own therapy when appropriate, avoid using the people they work with in therapy to meet their own needs or abuse their power, adhere to ethical principles, and treat all people with the dignity and respect they deserve.
- We envision a mental health community in which clinicians view all people as capable of change. Far too often, people are seen as deficient and lacking what it takes to be healthy and happy. We work to eliminate this destructive trend. We encourage therapists to give people the benefit of the doubt by holding to the wisdom that people are born lovable, loving, and vulnerable beings, and to understand that people are shaped by their experiences and circumstances.
- We envision a world in which all people have access to information and treatment that can help them improve their mental and emotional health and achieve harmony, thus promoting healthier families and communities.